Search This Blog

4.20.2012

Just Ginebra fans being awesome

It was last Tuesday, April 17, when Barangay Ginebra Kings ended their run in the ongoing PBA Commissioner's Cup when they lost to BMeg Derby Ace Llamados in a best-of-five semifinals series. It was a totally painful loss, and I do not want to elaborate on that any further.

Anyway, I just casually posted "Ang summer na walang Ginebra ay napakalamig." on my Twitter and Facebook accounts. Just a few minutes after that, I decided to ask the rest of the Ginebra Tweeps via @BarangayGinebra on how their summer will be without our team. I was surprised to have their overflowing responses! Honestly, I didn't know I will get that much replies since it was already past midnight. Nevertheless, my Twitter feed went insane! Not only did I receive tons of replies, but those were very creative and witty one-liners as well. I never doubted Ginebra fans' creativity and originality, but I just thought that their spirits will be down after the loss. Little did I know that they will enjoy our little Twitter game.

And so, the next day, this is what happened.


Whoa! I really didn't expect this! To be featured in an online article isn't something that happens on any normal day. I didn't realize that the impact of what Ginebra fans did overnight was this big. Well, I don't know. But for me, this is already big. Sir Tony Atayde tweeted that "Philippine sports has no greater passion than that of a Ginebra fan." I totally agree. You won't be able to find these kinds of fans elsewhere. Fans who cheers and supports the team at all costs. Fans who vents their anger and cries out loud anywhere possible against all odds. Fans who bravely communicate their emotions. Those are Ginebra fans.    
 
I guess, in my almost two years of handling @BarangayGinebra, I have encountered every type of online Ginebra fans that exists. Fans asking Ginebra related questions, fans tweeting "Go Ginebra! Beat (insert team here)", fans ranting, fans cursing, fans bashing, fans praying, fans loving, and even non-Ginebra fans hating. There's more to it than just doing the play-by-play updates during the game. But I'll write about it next time.

For now, I would like to express my deepest gratitude to all the fans for simply being awesome. I wouldn't have it any other way. *wink*

PS. Read the all the feedbacks on "Ang summer na walang Ginebra ay..." HERE. Be surprised. Be amazed. Be proud. Have fun!

XOXO.

No comments: